Saturday, August 21, 2010

Creme brûlée

I whipped these up for a dinner party that we were going to.  The recipe was pretty easy, 1 pint of cream, 4 egg yolks, 4 tbs sugar (I used two white and two brown), and 1 tsp of vanilla.  I scalded the cream with the sugar, then slowly tempered it with the egg yolks and then the vanilla at the end.  Bake in a water bath for about 40 minutes.  


This is a a version that I made for me and Ruchir using the leftover mix.  I added a bunch of mango puree to it, hence the orange-y color.  Unfortunately these did not turn out as good as the ones above because the puree made everything too liquidy and they never really set up.  Plus the crunchy top didn't really turn out on these - not sure why on that one.


But no worries, the ones that I took to the party set up great and turned out wonderfully!  The crunchy top was so good and topped with strawberries they looked very impressive! (Didn't hurt that they tasted great too!)



2 comments:

  1. Ha, forgot that you read this Nerm. Come to STL and I'll feed you some of these bites. But DHamm is like a chef now right? Get him to cook up a feast for you!

    ReplyDelete