Saturday, May 15, 2010

Mexican Pizza

One of my favorite fast food snacks is a Mexican Pizza from Taco Bell. Sure it's super unhealthy I'm sure, but it's probably better than my other fav fast food meal - roast chicken, mashed potatoes, and a buttery biscuit from Church's or Lee's Chicken. Anyway, back to the Mexican pizza. I wanted to recreate it (Ruchir's mom does an excellent version) so here goes!

First the filling. For this I used a can of black beans and a can of tomatoes with green chilis. Ideally I would have used fresh tomatoes but we had just run out of the supply that we got from the farmer's market so canned it had to be. I just mixed them together (drained the beans first) and let them cook until it wasn't liquid-y anymore. Then I dumped a handful of cheese of top and mixed that in so it was a paste type thing.


Looks like chili but it's not!

The actual "pizza" part is two deep fried tortillas. I should have deep fried them but I didn't want to use a bunch of oil so I just toasted them with a little oil in a skillet. Because they weren't deep fried, they weren't totally crispy, but still good enough.


The bean and tomato mixture is spread between the tortillas and topped with a bunch of shredded cheese and then put under a broiler for a bit to melt. I topped it with a dollop of homemade guacamole (remember the 25 cent avocados I got? yum!). Some sour cream would have been nice too but I didn't have any.


And here's a shot of the middle so that the inside filling can be seen. It was tasty but the tortilla could have been crispier. Still good enough for me to devour!

No comments:

Post a Comment