Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Holy Cow!


Does it get better than this??  I'm seriously in an ice cream phase. And they had an absurdly good Breyer's ice cream sale at our grocery store so I bought two tubs and then when I told Ruchir about it, he went and bought two tubs also!  So now we have 4 huge tubs of ice cream and I'm lovin' it!  I really like sauces on my ice cream so I decided to spoil myself and make 2.  The first is a chocolate sauce, basically just chocolate ganache.  I melt chocolate chips in the microwave, but just barely, so that they still hold their shape but they are melted inside.  Then add some non-microwaved chocolate chips and stir briskly.  The heat from the microwaved chocolate chips will melt the other ones and they will all meld together.  Adding in some non-microwaved chips is basically what's called "tempering" and it keeps the chocolate shiny and glossy.  Then mix in some heavy cream to make it more of a sauce - and that's basically ganache.  And boy is it delicious!  I also made some homemade whipped cream (easy, just cream and sugar plus a splash of vanilla) and some homemade caramel sauce.  Now this was not as easy, but boy is it worth it!  Plus I wanted to try out my new sauce pan that Mom got me for my birthday.  The trick is to not stir once the sugar comes to a boil - otherwise you'll get crystals in the caramel and it won't be smooth.  I've used different recipes in the past but this is the one I used today.

http://marzipanmom.blogspot.com/2010/03/homemade-caramel-sauce.html

Caramel Sauce
adapted from Classic Stars Desserts by Emily Luchetti

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup heavy whipping cream

In a heavy nonreactive saucepan, stir together the sugar and water. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil.


Doesn't the new sauce pan look beautiful?

Increase the heat to high and cook, without stirring, until the mixture becomes a golden amber color. Remove from the heat and let the bubbles subside for a few seconds. Stir in the cream, very slowly and carefully.


YOWZA! Add to the above ice cream picture and thank your lucky stars that you live in a world with such deliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment