Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Hooray for wontons!

I love wonton wrappers, they are so versatile! They can be fried, boiled, steamed and it all tastes good. Plus the filling options - whoa they are endless. You can used them to make ravioli, you can put chocolate and bananas in them, you can make crab rangoon, or just regular meat filled wontons etc etc! One of my favorites, and Ruchir's too, is just a simple ground beef and onion filling with some sweet chili sauce. I was all out of my usual sauce today but I whipped up a good approximation with some orange ginger stirfry sauce combined with chili paste. Just mix with cooked ground beef and onions and voila, you have your filling! I made a few cream cheese and green onions ones too which I like, but Ruchir doesn't.


Then it's time to put a dollop of filling in the middle, wipe the edges with water, and seal them up! I usually just fold them over into triangles, but I made a few of these packet type versions as well.


Then it's time to fry! Bubble bubble my little darlings!


And the result, mouth watering fried goodness! I'm thinking I should use the rest of the wrappers for a dessert, something with chocolate and whipped cream. Add in the fried factor and you know it's going to be delicious!

2 comments:

  1. yum yum !!! cream cheese and green onions sounds great. I just saw the reciepe for sweet wontons filled with cream cheese vanilla and rasberry jam and deep fried dusted with powdered sugar and served with fresh whipped cream . you can try with left over skins

    ReplyDelete