Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pappy's Smoke House

I promised a post about Pappy's, so here it is! This is a BBQ restaurant in St. Louis that is supposed some of the best BBQ here but actually I wasn't that thrilled. In fact, I thought some of it was kind of bad!

Here is my meal: ribs, potato salad, and sweet potato fries. Sounds like it would be great right?
Unfortunately the ribs were kind of dry; they had lots of sauces available, but nothing really made it much better. I think it's the style of cooking as these are smoked instead of grilled. I like the kind that are literally falling off the bones and juicy and delicious - Barnelli's ribs from around the Chicago area are the perfect ones in my opinion. These aren't like those at all, but they are still popular so I guess some people like this - just not me! Also, there are these sweet potato fries which I normally love. These were especially odd those because they were doused in sugar!! See all that white stuff on the fries?? Weird isn't it? Then there was the potato salad, not bad, just not great.




Here's Ruchir's plate. He got a pulled pork sandwich, cole slaw, and deep fried corn on the cob! The sandwich was definitely better than the ribs but nothing to write home about. Cole slaw was eh, but I always hate cole slaw. Then there was this odd deep fried corn on the cob. It was actually kind of good, but would have been better if it was crunchy like I thought it would be. It was kind of chewy instead, maybe because it had been sitting out for awhile? It also needed a kick, like some of that lime juice/chilli powder mix that Aunt Molly puts on corn would have been delish.


Anyway, verdict - I probably will not return. Ruchir liked it though and said he probably would get it again.

2 comments:

  1. That is too bad, it was really good when I went there. You must have just caught it on a bad day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I heard it was good but it just wasn't that great when we went!

    ReplyDelete