Thursday, January 28, 2010

Easy Tortilla Soup

I created this recipe one day when I realized that I was eating at Qdoba was too much. The thing I was always get there was called Mexican Gumbo which was cilantro lime rice topped with beans and a couple ladles of tortilla soup. I really only ordered this because I love the soup so I a quick fix of it that I could make at home. I always have different types of cans of tomatoes on hand in the pantry because they are so versatile. So I just mixed a can of tomatoes with green chilis and chicken stock. (Can you tell that I'm making tons of soups because I need to use up all this chicken stock?) From there you can add all sorts of things like shredded chicken, all sorts of cheeses, different kinda of beans, some corn, etc etc. I've even found that if you don't have chicken stock, you can just refill the tomato can with water and then dump that in there. Still delicious!




I served it over some leftover rice that I had and garnished it with my trio of usual soup accompaniments: sour cream, green onions, and fried tortilla strips. I threw in some small chunks of habenero cheese as well. This would be awesome with some slices of avocado too!


No comments:

Post a Comment