Sunday, January 24, 2010

Indian Food Oddities

These are a few of the new and different things that I saw and ate.

This is musambi juice. I've seen it with many different spellings. Mitzy had been going on about how much she wanted to try it, when me and Priya saw it on the menu, we jumped at the chance. It's described as a sweet lemon but to me it kind of feel like orange juice with a kick. It was good and I'm glad we got to taste it, sorry Mitz!



Ah, the Royal Falooda. Urmi got this at Woody's and apparently it is quite popular in Mumbai. It's basically a sundae but the real weird are those little transparent squigglies. Those are vermicelli noodles! In ice cream! The things people enjoy just amazes me sometimes.



Ok now here is a shot of the famous Indian soda called Thums Up. For starters, please note and laugh at how the B is not included in the word "Thum" yet it is clearly showing a logo of a hand giving a thumbs up. I would call this a Coke rip off but insanely (to me anyway) it is made by Coca Cola! It does kind of taste like Coke, but much flatter, and very often it's grainy. Ruchir perfectly described it as tasting "dusty." We did have it once where it wasn't dusty and that was definitely the anomaly.



These are slices of dragon fruit. I had never seen or heard of this fruit until we were at a buffet in Delhi but I guess this originally comes from Thailand. The whole fruit was sitting up on a ledge in a tall glass, almost like a decoration, and Ruchir's Dad asked what it was. Next thing we know the waiters are slicing it up for us. I thought it kind of tasted like watermelon with a little more texture and of course those tiny seeds. The others didn't really agree with me (as usual :).

No comments:

Post a Comment