Sunday, January 24, 2010

Other Indian Food Pics

Some other random food pictures taken during the trip...


This is at the market where we saw a live buffalo lumber past us and then minutes later it was slaughtered. Ew. Ruchir was enthralled ... of course. Anyway, this is a less gory picture from that day, showing these tiny bananas. I'm not sure if they have a different name, or even taste different that regular bananas. But since I love miniatures and these are small, I crave them!







Here we are eating fresh green coconut by the beach with all the Chinese fishing nets. The coconut water is delicious (fun fact: did you know that it is sterile and was once used as fluid for IVs?). I'm not that big of a fan of the fresh coconut meat but it was kind of fun since the guy had hacked the shell into a little scoop for me.








These are fresh sardines which have been flash fried. We got the sardines at the market (where the tiny bananas and the water buffalo slaughtering took place) and then took them back to Paliam where they were dunked in incredibly hot oil. They were a bit salty and actually I don't like them that much, but I love the crunchiness. I do think that it is kind of weird to be chewing through all those bones though.





And then there is this wonderful picture. This was taken at my favorite ice cream parlour (yeah I used the British/Indian spelling, it just seems appropriate in this context) which is located just a short walk from Paliam. It used to be called Woody's but now is called Korter and has undergone a serious makeover. I prefer the old scene, mostly because I hate change, but the ice cream is still great! This sundae is called The Grasshopper. It used to be served in a tall glass and without that many brightly coloured (I did it again!) syrups but the taste is the same. It's pistachio ice cream with mint sauce and tons of random crunchy things. I actually think some of those crunchy things are cornflakes, which sounds like it might be gross but is actually very good. I cleaned my bowl in no time!

1 comment: