Saturday, February 20, 2010

Lazy Saturday

My favorite day is definitely Saturday when we can both sleep in. We usually get up around 9 or 10, make a big breakfast/brunch, maybe watch some TV or a movie, and then take a nap from 1 to 4. The perfect day in my opinion! One Saturday I had the craving for some crepes. Normally I would just head over to City Coffee House and Creperie which is just a 5 minute walk from our apartment. But I felt like I should cook something so I decided to whip out Alton Brown' trusty crepe recipe and go to town.

The recipe is good and normally I wouldn't use a real recipe, but again for things that involve flour, I think it's a good idea to stick to something that you know has the right proportions.
The ingredients are here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/crepes-recipe/index.html

3 tablespoons melted butter
2 large eggs
1 cup flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
Butter, for coating the pan

It goes in order: 3, 2, 1, 3/4, 1/2 so I should remember it but never do.
Anyway, just mix it all up, I usually throw it in a tupperware and then shake. Then comes the sort of tricky part, just pour a small amount in a griddle pan, swirl to make it as thin as possible and then when it's ready, it's time to flip!

We tried to make some videos but I think the quality and timing and kind of bad but oh well.
Here's my attempt, it's already in mid-air when the video is started.

And here's Ruchir's attempt.

Of course you can just flip with a spatula, but who wants that?? The result should be like this in my opinion, soft and rollable but with a tiny bit of crunch. Look at that golden beauty!






You'll end up with a delightful stack like this! I fill them with nutella, bananas, and some of my homemade strawberry freezer jam. I would explain what that it is, but I feel lazy right now. Go look up freezer jam, it's an easy and awesome way to make your own jam!










Also, no crepe would be right without some whipped cream!!












And the end result, yum!

1 comment:

  1. I think Ruchir's landed better . You had to adjust a little after landing on the skillet.
    No matter what it looks great. Hope to get that from both of you on sunday morning here for Easter. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete