Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Super Bowl Snacks

I seem to be fading a little on the posting...this was to be expected but I'm pushing on! Here's what I made for the Super Bowl. The Colts lost but actually I like when underdogs win so it wasn't that sad for me. For my family, that's another story!

I forgot to take any good final pictures because we were running late but I made potato skins, which are pretty much always good, and then we decorated them with sour cream lines to make them look like footballs! I made these a few years ago and they were a hit! Basically bake/microwave the potatoes until they are cooked through. I did this in the microwave, putting them in a ziploc bag after washing them well. Then cut them in half and scoop out most of the middles. This left me with an enormous amount of mashed potatoes so that will definitely have to be turned into something later. But anyway... so after scooping out the insides, I brushed them with some vegetable oil mixed with the cayenne, black pepper, and salt. Threw them on a rack and put them in a hot hot (I think I used 450 degree) oven for about 10 minutes. Then I flipped them over, brushed the other sides with oil and put them back in the oven. Then I just had to fill them with bacon, tons of cheese, green onions, and a dollop of guacamole was added at the last minute by Ruchir. The sour cream lines came out of a squirt bottle that we had. Tasty and they were munched down pretty much as soon as we got into the party.



I also made caramelized onion dip. This was pretty good too, but I definitely should have made it earlier and left it in the fridge to firm up a bit more. It was not like lick the bowl delicious, so if I was going to make something like this again, I would probably try and pick a different recipe. This is the one that I loosely followed, but I didn't use the same proportions (ie I didn't measure anything) and I didn't use any balsamic because I didn't have any.

Caramelized Onion Dip
From: http://wellfed.typepad.com/

INGREDIENTS
2 large yellow onions
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise

I let you figure out the directions - basically caramelize the onions, then mix everything together. I used our stick blender to get it all really combined. I hate extremely long and drawn out directions like what is written on the website. i.e. Peel onions. Chop onions. Put onions in pot. Put butter in pot. Turn on heat. Etc etc.

Verdict is good, but not great but possibly because I didn't let it sit for a few hours and because I didn't use the balsamic, I think that would have given it a nice kick. I would have gladly just eaten the onions with a spoon instead of the dip but that's just me!

No comments:

Post a Comment